Help Reduce Ocean Debris
How Big is the Problem?
- We have produced more plastic in the past 10 years than during the entire last century.
- Enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the earth four times.
- 80 percent of pollution enters the ocean from the land.
- 90 percent of all trash floating on the ocean’s surface is plastic.
- There are 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile of ocean.
- At least 8 million tons of plastic enter the oceans each year.
- Plastic makes up 85% of ocean debris.
It Gets Worse.
- Plastic in the world’s oceans could increase by a factor of 10 in the next decade.
- More than 260 animal species have become entangled in or consumed fishing line, nets, ropes and other discarded equipment.
- An astounding 86 percent of all marine turtles are affected by marine debris.
- One million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
- 44 percent of all seabird species, 22 percent of cetaceans, all sea turtle species and a growing list of fish species have been documented with plastic in or around their bodies.
At CMA, a number of our rescued marine animals suffer from ocean debris. Look at these recent stories.
Help reduce ocean debris by becoming a Winter Ocean Warrior with this exclusive reusable, recyclable and eco-friendly conservation pack! This pack helps you combat single-use products with a reusable tote, straws and bottle.100% of the net proceeds from your purchase goes directly to supporting our mission of Rescue, Rehabilitation and Release of marine life, and the long-term care of our resident animals.
Thank you to our sponsors